lundi, octobre 04, 2010

Steamed (Cup)Cake

Another experiment this Sunday with my Mom's Steamed Cake recipe. Apparently the fruitcake recipe I made is different from this Steamed Cake. Although they both use mixed fruits, but they are actually 2 different recipes. When it come to steaming, I have a bit of problem. I have only a bamboo steamer medium size. Perhaps I should invest in a bigger steamer.

Anyway, as my mom mentioned, the tricky part is the caramelized sugar at the end. I made a couple of mistakes with this. One, I made the caramelized sugar ahead, so by the time I need to incorporate it into the mixture, it became hard. So my caramelized sugar appeared as blots in the cupcake. Second, I use hand mixer all the way, which is not good. By the time I add the flour and onwards, I should've used spatula.

So here's the recipe... (The measurement is a bit odd, I know)

Ingredients
2 glasses flour
3/4 glass fine sugar
1/2 glass fine sugar (to make caramelized sugar)
9 oz butter (I used 250 gm butter)
3 eggs
some candied cherries, 1/2 lb mixed fruits (I used 250 gm mixed fruits and raisins)
1 nutmeg (powdered)
lemon zest
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Preparations:
- Prepare the steamer with boil water.
- Mix butter, sugar, eggs.
- In a bowl, sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and nutmeg
- Use spatula, add in the sifted ingredients.
- In another bowl, add some flour to the mixed fruits, mix together until the fruits are well coated
- Add the fruits to the cake mixture
- In a casserole, heat the sugar, let it come into boil.
- Quickly pour the caramelized sugar into the cake mixture and at the same time mix vigorously (It is advisable to have someone else helping you at this step)
- Then, put the mixture into the cake mold
- Steam for about 2 hours. (As I use 5 medium sized cupcake each time, it took 1 hour). Test by inserting skewer or knife in the middle of the cake, and it should come out clean)

IMG_1769

IMG_1775

IMG_1777

Aucun commentaire: