vendredi, septembre 10, 2010

Neng's Fruitcake :D

This is my first time baking fruitcake. My mom used to make fruitcakes during festivities time. So for Hari Raya my challenge this year is to make the fruitcake :D
There are few concerns about fruitcakes, one is that to make sure the fruits are all scattered evenly and not falling down at the base. So I asked my mom for the recipe. Something great about the measuring, as my mom told me... the flour, butter and sugar are the same amount :D

IMG_1687

Ingredients:
230 grams unsalted butter
230 grams brown sugar (I don't have brown sugar, so I used white fine sugar)
4 eggs
1 orange (take the juice and zest)
1 lemon zest
60 grams ground almonds
100 grams hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, or almonds, chopped (I only used almonds)
560 grams of an assortment of dried fruits, candied and chopped mixed peel, and glace cherries, sultanas (You can add other combinations like figues, apricot, dried cranberries)
230 grams all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mix spice (cinnamon, cloves)

Methods:
- Pre-heat oven 160C, line the baking tin (20cm) with baking paper and grease it with butter.
- Beat butter, sugar until fluffy.
- Add one by one eggs, vanilla essence
- Add in orange juice and zests (at this time the batter can looked curdle, it's OK)
- Fold in ground almonds, chopped nuts
- Take some flour and cover the fruits. Like this they are not stick to each other
- Fold in fruits in the batter
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt
- Add progressively into the batter, fold in until all are well incorporate.
- At this point, the batter is 'heavy'.
- Spoon the batter into baking tin
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour on 160C, then reduce to 150C and bake until about 30mins-1 hour. Test with skewer, when the skewer comes out clean with a bit of moist crumbs.

IMG_1673

IMG_1677

Aucun commentaire: